BSS Celebrates 2015 Accomplishments
The Baby Safe Sleep Coalition finished out 2015 with some significant accomplishments and a generous donation that will enable us to continue our successful Enhanced Safe Sleep Education collaboration with area hospitals in 2016.
At our end-of-the-year celebration on December 17, Co-Chair Sue VanStydonck announced that the Glover Crask Charitable Trust had made a $15,000 donation to continue a project with UR/Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong, UR/Highland, Rochester General and Unity Hospitals that provides safe sleep instruction to the parents of every baby born annually in Monroe County. Parents also receive a take-home safe sleep kit that they can share with family members and caregivers to ensure that everyone who cares for their baby knows about safe sleep.
“We are so grateful to John Harris and Glover Crask Charitable Trust for their support of this life-saving program,” VanStrydonck said. “As a small organization operated primarily by volunteers, we could not continue distribution of the take-home kits without this gift from Glover Crask!”
The December breakfast also provided an opportunity to acknowledge several important accomplishments in 2015, including:
- Continued distribution of our safe sleep brochures, printed courtesy of Xerox Corporation, with all birth certificates mailed out annually by the Monroe County Department of Public Health. 10,566 birth certificates were mailed in 2015.
- Completion of 2 successful pilot programs at Rochester General and Unity hospitals that provided enhanced safe sleep education and 2,800 take-home kits with sleep sacks to parents of newborns, which led to the establishment of the enhanced safe sleep education program with all local hospitals and distribution of an additional 1,850 safe sleep kits in 2015.
- Our support of the efforts of UR/Golisano Children’s Hospital, through our affiliation with the National Cribs for Kids program, to become the first and only hospital in New York State to achieve the highest level recognized by the National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification Program, Gold Safe Sleep Champions.
- Our success in raising nearly $30,000 from events including Baby Safe Sleep Rocks, the BSS Stroll and Roc the Day; and donations from the Genesee Brewhouse Pilot Brewery, Chico’s at Pittsford Plaza, and many private donors.
- Outreach efforts that shared safe sleep education and Monroe County Department of Public Health statistics at a variety of community events and with local pediatricians, hospitals and agencies that work with infants and families.
- The work of our Safe Crib Project committee in raising $4,500 used to purchase 50 Pack N Play portable cribs, 100 crib sheets with the safe sleep message from Cribs for Kids, and 50 sleep sacks for distribution to families in need.
- Expansion of our safe sleep continuum of care in Monroe County to include presentations and safe sleep kit distribution at OB/GYN practices and centering sites such as Healthy Baby Network’s Healthy Start programs at Rochester General Hospital, Clinton Family Health Center and Anthony Jordan Health Center.