Baby Safe Sleep Coalition Celebrates Progress in 2013
2013 saw significant strides forward in the Baby Safe Sleep Coalition’s mission to eliminate preventable infant deaths due to unsafe sleep environments.
- A powerful video on the importance of safe sleep in saving lives.
- A series of successful fundraisers that enabled us to get the safe sleep message out to thousands of families in the community.
- Over a dozen presentations to pediatricians, nurses, nurse practitioners and other health professions to ensure they have the latest information and hand-outs for their patients.
- 2013 was a great year for the Baby Safe Sleep Coalition – thanks to dedication of our members and tremendous support from the community. On December 19, we met to mark the progress we’ve made toward eliminating preventable deaths of healthy infants, and established our agenda for 2014.
Take a look at the successes you helped make possible in 2013:
- The Monroe County Department of Public Health is continuing its commitment to include Safe Sleep Brochures in all birth certificate mailings, reaching parents of approximately 11,000 babies born annually.
- Xerox Corporation stepped forward again to printing 25,000 safe sleep brochures, enabling us to supply brochures to accompany birth certificates and support the efforts of the Monroe County Department of Human Services to conduct safe sleep assessments and provide education materials.
- We launched the Pediatricians for Safe Sleep Campaign with the development of a PowerPoint presentation and supplies of safe sleep materials, making 13 presentations this year to pediatric health providers with more scheduled in 2014.
- We enhanced our website, adding all our materials, articles and videos as well as current updates regarding Baby Safe Sleep, and expanded our Facebook presence.
- The Monroe County Safe Crib Program merged with the Baby Safe Sleep Coalition to ensure that impoverished families receive safe cribs and safe sleep education.
- A Baby Safe Sleep video was completed to educate parents and caregivers on the risks of unsafe sleep practices.
- The Coalition is now represented by all area hospitals, and a hospital sub-committee has been convened to share issues and concerns, solve problems and learn how other hospitals are promoting safe sleep practices both in the hospital setting and in the community.
- Approximately $35,000 was donated to support the Coalition, thanks to such events as Remembering Rylee, Baby Safe Sleep Rocks, Baby Safe Sleep Stroll, ROC the Day and a private fundraiser. This enabled the Coalition to continue to produce materials and employ a part-time staff person to help ensure that the goals of the Coalition are met.
- Safe sleep and the Coalition were featured in two television interviews and a radio interview this year, and we co-authored Op-Ed with RPD Chief James Shepherd published on the D&C website.
- We supported the Monroe County Medical Examiner’s Office and the Monroe County Department of Public Health in their efforts to work together to track unsafe sleep fatalities and related demographic information in order to identify trends for use in prevention. This statistical report will be published annually in the month of September.
- Contact was made with store owners and staff to engage them in establishing a partnership to advocate for the sale of only those baby items that enhance a safe sleep environment.
- Baby Safe Sleep Coalition information was on display at the annual Bivona Child Abuse Summit, designed for human and health services professionals, and at a new event, “Beyond the Bump,” for pregnant moms, new moms and dads, and grandparents.