Parents & Caregivers
You can reduce the risk of infant death from suffocation by being aware of and following safe sleeping practices. See our top 8 Baby Safe Sleep Guidelines –and always put your baby on their back to sleep until their first birthday.
- A baby should sleep in the same room as an adult but in their own crib. Never put your baby to sleep on a couch, chair, water bed or other soft space.
- Don’t put crib bumpers, blankets, pillows or toys in your baby’s crib.
- The only thing in baby’s crib should be a firm mattress & fitted sheet.
- Never put your baby to sleep in a crib made more than 10 years ago or that has missing or broken parts.
- Don’t make the room your baby sleeps in too hot. Dress your baby in no more than one more layer than you are wearing.
- Always put your baby back in their crib after feeding.
- Keep your baby away from smoke, alcohol & illegal drugs.
- Tell everyone who cares for your baby about safe sleep and insist on your baby sleeping in a safe place.
Four Tips for Baby’s Comfort
• Babies should be held skin-to-skin with mom as soon as possible after they are born, at least for the first hour.
• Take care of yourself and your baby—eat well and see a doctor regularly.
• Stay up to date on all required shots for your baby.
• Give your baby a pacifier at nap time and bedtime.