The Baby Safe Sleep Coalition wishes to thank the following people and organizations.
Thanks to our dedicated Coalition members and many community supporters, Baby Safe Sleep Coalition was able to continue providing needed safe sleep resources to Monroe County families in 2017. Here are just a few of our accomplishments:
- Supplied safe sleep brochures (printed courtesy of Xerox Corporation) to the Monroe County Department of Public Health to include in the mailing of 9,747 birth certificates in 2016.*
- Provided 8,266 safe sleep take-home kits in 2017 to Monroe County hospital birthing centers for distribution to new parents for a total of 18,984 kits since starting the program in Summer 2015.
- Worked with URMC/Golisano Hospital Pediatric Sleep Medicine Services to create an infant sleep tip sheet aimed at reinforcing safe sleep practices while helping parents and baby to get more rest.
- Supported the efforts of UR Highland Hospital through our National Cribs for Kids program affiliation in becoming the third hospital in our community to achieve Gold Safe Sleep Champion status – the highest level recognized by the National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification Program.
- Raised nearly $30,000 from events including Baby Safe Sleep Rocks, the BSS Stroll, Alex and Ani Bangles for Babies, and Roc the Day, and received a generous donation from the Glover-Crask Charitable Trust.
- Shared free safe sleep educational materials at several community events and with local pediatricians, hospitals and agencies that work with infants and families.
- Marked our 10th year of service by evaluating our safe sleep efforts to date, identifying new priorities and setting future goals.
- Our Safe Crib Project raised $3,500 and distributed 19 Pack N Play cribs in 2017, serving as an additional resource for hospital social workers and community organizations serving people in need.
- Met with Monroe County Executive Office, Department of Public Health and Law Department staff as well as NYS legislators to continue pursuing legislation action on banning the sale of crib bumpers.
- As a participating member of the NYS Safe Sleep Task Force, shared local research, messages and best practices that have resulted in more effective statewide safe sleep initiatives.
* Most recent data available from the MCDPH.
Thank you to everyone who helped make our 2017 Baby Safe Sleep Rocks fundraiser a huge success!
We were amazed by the variety and value of the many donated raffle items, impressed by the number of supporters who attended the event this year and touched by the generosity of odonors.
With your support, we raised over $5,000, enabling us to continue educating the parents of every infant born in Monroe County this year about safe sleep and provide free safe sleep materials to the many agencies and programs that work with families in our community.
Seasonal and holiday-themed baskets were popular.
This year’s event brought in the biggest crowd yet!
Toys for children, adults and even pets.
Thanks to a $5,500 matching donation pledged by the Glover Crask Charitable Trust, we raised $14,300 at the 2016 Baby Safe Sleep Rocks April 17th event – the highest amount ever!
This money is critically important to continuing our program of supplying take-home kits to local hospitals. The kits reinforce the safe sleep education parents receive at the hospital before they return home with their newborn.
We are so thankful to Glover Crask for its generous donation; to many other individuals, companies and organizations that donated wonderful raffle items, and to our volunteers and attendees who helped make this event such a great success!
Our thanks to Wegmans for once again supporting our Safe Crib Project with a generous donation. This contribution enables the Baby Safe Sleep Coalition to provide safe sleep education and a crib to families without resources in Monroe County.
Our thanks to Paychex for its recent donation of $1500 to support the Safe Crib Project. The money will be used to provide safe cribs and safe sleep educational materials to families in need in Monroe County.
The Baby Safe Sleep Coalition’s Safe Crib Project has received two substantial donations that will allow us to purchase cribs for families in need. The Rochester Female Charitable Society contributed $2,000 and Wegmans donated $1,500. Together, those two gifts will ensure that approximately 70 families will have a safe place for their infants to sleep. We are extremely grateful for their generosity!
Thank you to the Women’s Center at Rochester General Hospital for hosting our safe sleep education presentation for their staff!
Thank you to everyone who gave generously to Baby Safe Sleep as part of United Way’s 2014 Roc the Day event. Nearly $1000 was raised to purchase safe portable cribs for families in need.
So great to have the opportunity to conduct a safe sleep presentation for your staff!
We received a $5000 James G. Zimmer MD Mini-Grant from the Genesee Valley Medical Foundation and a $2000 grant from The Polisseni Foundation to support a joint safe sleep education program at Rochester General Hospital. Parents of babies born at the hospital from August 2014 to January 2015 receive enhanced safe sleep education and a safe sleep kit that includes a Halo sleep sack, a beautiful Sleep Baby Safe & Snug book with the safe sleep message to read to their baby, and other education materials aimed at reinforcing the safe sleep message at home.